Oxley Creek Common Bird Sanctuary
Oxley Creek Common is already one of Brisbane’s best birding spots, and it has the potential to become a world-renowned birdwatching destination, drawing birders, ornithologists and nature lovers from across the nation and globe.
Despite the Common’s urban location just seven kilometres from the Brisbane CBD, one quarter of Australia’s native bird species have been spotted onsite, along with migratory birds from as far away as Japan and Russia. The large open space hosts significant wetlands and is bounded on two sides by Oxley and Stable Swamp Creeks, which together provide habitat for diverse bird species.
Future investment will focus on enhancing and expanding this habitat to attract more native fauna species, particularly birds, and support a richer array of flora. The Common will become a place where visitors and locals can learn about biodiversity, sustainability and ornithology and enjoy the natural world.
Opportunities to collaborate with Corinda State High School’s current on site agricultural program will also be investigated.
Proposed facilities include:
- a visitor centre
- urban farming and commercial activities
- linkages with cafes, markets and food and beverage outlets in close proximity
- birdwatching infrastructure including bird hides, lookout towers and boardwalks
- a community lease facility, for activities that are complementary to the site and corridor values, e.g. research facility, educational space, urban farm, native plant nursery
- engineered habitats such as forests, wetlands, lagoons and islands (in locations where the existing landform has already been modified)
- upgraded walking tracks and facilities along Oxley Creek and through the Common
- shared paths through the Common connecting northern and southern sections of the corridor
- enhancements to the Red Shed (which currently includes toilets, drinking water, covered seating and barbeque facilities) including potential upgrades to the canoe and kayak launching facilities
- investigate bike, canoe and kayak hire facilities
- a community area inclusive of an event/activity lawn, children's play area, all ages outdoor gym and a fenced dog off-leash area.
Oxley Creek Common Bird Sanctuary will be created in partnership with the Friends of Oxley Creek Common, Oxley Creek Catchment Association (OCCA), Corinda State High School, Birds Queensland, Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council.
Bookings of The Red Shed
Oxley Creek Common, including The Red Shed, is managed by the Department of Housing and Public Works (Queensland Government).
For all enquiries and feedback relating to Oxley Creek Common, including hire and bookings of The Red Shed, please contact (07) 3008 2761 or via email email@example.com