Archerfield Wetlands Parkland
Archerfield Wetlands, a priority project identified in the Oxley Creek Transformation Master Plan, will become a major new recreation, education and environmental parkland for the region.
The Archerfield Wetlands draft Precinct Plan establishes the vision, priority actions and improvements to transform 150 hectares of underutilised green space into a one-of-a-kind recreational destination and environmental asset. The parkland will include a multitude of new recreational facilities, including a network of boardwalks, cycling paths and walking trails, a large adventure play space and multi-use games court, a canoe and kayak launch facility, as well as a new community, educational and commercial hub, picnicking facilities and elevated walkways and outlooks with views across the wetlands.
Download the Archerfield Wetlands draft Precinct Plan:
Once an industrial precinct, a site for wastewater treatment and waste disposal, and a source of pollution for Oxley Creek, Archerfield Wetlands is being given back to nature and rehabilitated into an environmental asset and a recreational destination.
Archerfield Wetlands encompasses approximately 150 hectares of low-lying green space located between the Ipswich Motorway, Oxley and Bowhill Road, Durack. The new parkland will create a key central gateway to the Oxley Creek corridor, eventually linking with other recreation and activity hubs to the north and south.
Proposed features for the new parkland include:
- restoration of natural ecosystems across the site to expand and complement the existing wetland
- establishing a network of walking, cycling and environmental discovery trails that link with The Greenway
- a visitor/community centre offering educational, cultural, interpretive and community experiences
- a play space and youth hub with characteristics of the site's past
- a community hub and facilities for the Oxley Creek Catchment Association (OCCA)
- commercial activities leveraging the facility’s visitor, playscape and environmental features.
Cattle are temporary residents in contained areas of Archerfield Wetlands to help with vegetation management while Oxley Creek Transformation undertake detailed planning for the site in conjunction with our technical consultants, key stakeholders and the community.
Oxley Creek Transformation will review and incorporate the community feedback received during the community consultation period and finalise the Precinct Plan for release in late-2019.